The following information is specifically for general users.
If you are a System Administrator seeking elevated privileges on a non-ACES server, you must submit a NAMS request using the search term "HQ Elevated Privileges for NON-ACES computers."
What is Elevated Privileges?
Elevated Privileges (EP) allow you to perform security-relevant functions on your computer that ordinary users are not authorized to perform. Some examples are to install home printers, troubleshoot home Internet connection, install approved software for development work, etc.
Accessing information systems with elevated user privileges greatly increases the risks of security incidents and of unintended and/or detrimental changes to system configurations. It is considered best practice to restrict user rights in order to limit the scope and lessen the opportunity of attacks.
How to Request Elevated Privileges
General users are only granted elevated privileges for clearly established purposes. The granting of Elevated Privileges does not give a user unrestricted authority to change system configuration, install executable software, or to otherwise add/modify/delete existing software products.
+ Read more
NASA Headquarters personnel may request temporary or permanent elevated privileges if required to accomplish your NASA mission. After all approvals have been made, and it is confirmed that the required training course(s) have been completed, access is normally granted within 72 hours, depending on ACES scheduling and specific operating system.
- Temporary: Temporary elevated privileges are granted for a short period of time (less than 30 days) and then removed once the requirement has been met.
- Permanent: Permanent elevated privileges are granted for a period of 30 days to 1 year. At NASA HQ, this requirement is reviewed on an annual basis.
To request elevated privileges, complete both Step 1 and Step 2 below:
Step 1: Submit a service request through the Enterprise Service Desk (ESD):
- Go to the ESD Web site: https://esd.nasa.gov
- Select “Order Services” (a new window will appear)
- Search for “elevated privileges”
- Select “Obtain Elevated Privileges”
- Select “Request Now”
- Complete the online request form, including business justification, length of time, and asset tag number.
- Select “Submit”
Step 2: Send an e-mail to the HQ Center Information Security Officers (CISO), Marion Meissner and the ACES Customer Service Manager Team. The e-mail should describe the nature of your requirement by including:
- The ACES order number you received when ordering EP.
- Time requirement: Temporary (under 30 days) or Permanent (30 days to 1 year), with the desired start and end dates.
- Type of computer(s) (i.e. Windows or Macintosh), and the asset tag number(s) of the equipment.
- Describe what you are trying to accomplish that requires elevated privileges (e.g. install home printer; troubleshoot home Internet connection; install software for development work (include specifics).
- What is the impact to mission accomplishment if the request is denied?
You will be notified by the ACES team or the HQ CISO when your request has been approved. Any message received from ESD regarding approval reflects an ESD status, not final approval of your request.
Note: NASA HQ is working on automating the request process for EP using the NASA Account Management System (NAMS). Details will be posted on this page immediately prior to implementation.